Monday, December 29, 2008

Dakar 2009 - Francisco Otaño: «I will get a tattoo of my race number»


The dream of his life. Francisco admits he has been waiting 20 years to participate on the Dakar. He knew that one day or another he’d be able to do it. «It is so important to me, I will get a tattoo of my race number and I don’t have any tattoos. » Francisco, ‘Patxi’ to his followers, has been making motor racing news in Argentina for 30 years. On a motorcycle or in a car, he has raced everywhere in the country. He has won the Patagonia-Atacama in two different categories. Coming from a motor racing family, he will also be racing in this Dakar for his father. «He is 88 and has suffered from cancer for the past three years. He told me no matter what happens, don’t change your ideas or stop chasing your dream. So, for me it is like I have a mission on this Dakar. » Used to running up front in other races, Francisco Otaño, admits he wants to have a strong result on the 31st Dakar. «We want to put in a credible race, » says Francisco. «We want to do better than just finish. » Having already gotten the better of the Mitsubishis and Volkswagens in Argentina, ’Patxi’ says he too wants to be one of the front runners in the rally. «I know we will do something on the La Serena and Copiapo stages. » Co-driver, Leonardo Monti confirms he would like a top 20 finish but has another preoccupation. « It is the start of a new adventure. We will race with the first example of a new prototype that we are developing. This is the beginning of a 15-year project. Patxi Otaño has number 411. »

No comments: